Wednesday 13 December 2017

120 Rats ~~~ 14th June. Friday ~~~ '96

120 Rats ~~~ 14th June. Friday ~~~ '96

POLARIS: from Leeds: very instrumental 3 or 4 straight songs with no words - 1 overheard comment 'I hate bands like this' another overheard comment 'I think this is the best band in the UK right now'.
Very musical and adept use of instruments. The night was just getting going for me, I didn't pay them too much mind really. Quite musical - a distinct lack of the usually crucial 'fuzzbox' guitar noise.

[Met Cameron, then Sned. Neil said hello (tho' later fucked me off (no painting) oh bummer]

HEADACHE: 3/4 french 1/4 UK: mostly live in the UK (some at 120 Rats) - about to go on tour with Hiatus til next wednesday then Europe, a 30 date tour & no room in their van! I've seen Headache 3 X now, I met Seth @ Bradford - a nice Sheffield lad & accomplished bass player. with a vibrant happy-go-lucky stage presence. Tito - the guitarist, takes his glasses off on stage & plays some weird guitar. either dischords or strange one given to him by aliens who've had millions of years of punk rock & wanna influence it somehow. His harmonics, chord sequencing & choppy rhythms may just do it. Max, the vocalist has a good line in guttural growling screaming. Not howls or gut wrenching soul cries but a balanced concept of life from 1 end of a microphone & he's a good dancer.  I don't know the drummer, but he wears a nice combo of black jeans and a kilt with sporran! cropped hair and a wicked drummer. I bet, if he had a kit the size of Cozy Powell's he wouldn't be lost, due to the awesome drum rolls he performed. very driving with no quarter given.

HIATUS: Belgium: finish UK tour on Wednesday in London, played Glasgow last night. Nottingham, Southampton & Bath (possibly). Their drummer was good, very competent. In the occasions where it was just drums, vocals and bass - the rhythm was sensational I was moshing with no care for tomorrow. Then when the 2 guitarists, moved their hands, striking the strings, actuating the pick-ups to direct the noise to the amps. I went into headbanger Nirvana. This is not a heavy metal band. They, by the admission of one of the guitar players, are a Hard Rock Band. Total driving force. Intent. Blinding. Was this hardcore, maybe it was. it, the fervour can never die - which reminds me of 1 song 'do you wanna die' or something like that..... I'd just made an impromptu noose. But hey: I forgot to mention that 1 guitarist had a real Gibson!!! looks like Eric Cantona - to me anyway. Absolute Fuckin' Brill. but hey, I'd say this about ABBA, if I was pissed & dancing - so there ya go. words on a page for you (?) to read

No comments: